Ya girl is TIRED! But as I move into the new quarter, I look back on my achievements with pride and a feeling of closure. Despite our challenges with COVID, lots of amazing things have manifested during my Q2 for this year, and I can’t wait to share them with you! Check it out:
TABLE OF CONTENTS:
- 00:00 – Intro: Life is Beautiful… as usual (knock on wood! lol!)
- 02:38 – Q2 was successful… but a LOT slower (thankfully) + Q1 Review
- 06:20 – Surviving and Thriving During Our First Full Academic Year as Teacher (Me) and Student (My Daughter) in COVID
- 13:44 – I GOT TWO PROMOTIONS AT MY JOB & SCHOOL!!
- 16:16 – Designing a Brand New Theatre/TV/Film Program for My High School!
- 25:20 – Self-care, Painting, Traveling (COVID-safe, course!), and My Birthday!
- 27:50 – Eating Humble Pie and Drinking STFU Milk: My First Round of Rejections!
- 30:40 – Applying to MORE Fellowships
- 31:35 – My TV & Screenwriting Achievements and Awards!!
- 37:37 – Celebrating, Acknowledge, and Appreciate Your Wins, No Matter How Small They May Seem!
- 44:14 – The (Slow) Growth of My Writing Portfolio & Creative Projects for Q2
- 53:02 – Creative Uni Updates
- 53:30 – What’s Coming Up for Q3 2021!
- 1:00:31 – But Still, I Chill… because It Is SUMMER and NYC is OPEN!!
- 1:01:07 – Contest, Fellowship, and Application Results that Are Coming Up during Q3!
- 1:03:35 – Bye, Lovelies! Colby Signing Off.
MY Q2 WINS & ACHIEVEMENTS:
- FINISHED OUR COVID SCHOOL YEAR WITH FLYING COLORS!!! Created a few new INCREDIBLE units for learning the business of film and television, and I re-focused on my day job with renewed vigor so that I could finish the year on a strong note
- MY CAREER, MONEY, AND JOB PROSPECTS ARE POPPIN’!!! JOB TITLE’S BEEN UPGRADED!! Got offered a film teaching job at another school, but then my current school counter offered with an incredible offer and two promotions, so I took it. I am officially the Grade Level Chair for the 11th grade and I am also the Department Head for the entire Electives department. I also get to turn my Theatre program into a Theatre, Film, and Television program!
- Designed and submitted a 2021-2022 scope and sequence for the new Theatre, Film, and Television program and it’s DELICIOUS!!
- TV WRITING CONTEST, OPPORTUNITIES, AND FELLOWSHIP APPLICATIONS
- Applied to 9 more TV writing programs, contests, and fellowships, including the Walt Disney ABC TV Writing Program
- REJECTIONS: I also got my first round of real rejections this month, too! I was rejected from the Circle of Confusion Writer Discovery Fellowship, the Mentorship Matters program, and the Sesame Street Writers’ Workshop. I was sad about these rejections, but definitely not deterred. I’ll have more time to prune and polish my current portfolio, add to my portfolio of scripts, hire a real industry script consultant and coach, and I’ll also have the opportunity to try again next year!
- TV WRITING & SCREENWRITING AWARDS AND OFFERS
- WON A $2500 FELLOWSHIP TO WRITERS’ BOOTCAMP!!! (4/12)
- Got an incredible MAJOR offer to start developing WHEN IN ROHM for other industry opportunities (4/21)
- My script EZEKIEL won the Sci-fi & Fantasy Award at WriteMovies.com’s Science Fiction & Fantasy Award!! (6/11)
- My script EZEKIEL placed as a Quarterfinalist in the WriteMovies.com’s Spring 2021 Screenwriting Contest (7/2)
- My script WHEN IN ROHM placed as a Quarterfinalist in the WeScreenplay 2021 Diverse Voices Screenwriting Lab!! (6/15)
- My script WHEN IN ROHM made the Second Round of the Launch Pad Pilot Competition 2021 (7/2)
- Got offered an interview with the Director of the Write Movies Contests about my Grand Prize win in their Winter 2021 Contest!!!! It’ll stream LIVE on July 15 for all the world to see. Here’s the link about it: https://writemovies.com/july-15th-exclusive-interview-with-our-sci-fi-and-fantasy-award-winner/
- TV WRITING & SCREENWRITING PORTFOLIO
- FINISHED draft #2 of the EZEKIEL pilot
- FINISHED draft #3 of the WHEN IN ROHM pilot
- My dramaturg, Claire Z, is amazing!!
- The Mandalorian TV spec script
- FINISH studying and breaking down episodes from THE MANDALORIAN series
- FINISH the skeleton outline for THE MANDALORIAN spec
- Wrote 3 pages for the MANDALORIAN first draft (4/18)
- Surrogate TV pilot
- Continued outlining Surrogate through Jeff Gordon’s Writer’s Bootcamp course
- Continued writing rough draft of Surrogate through Jeff Gordon’s Writer’s Bootcamp course
- Asylum TV pilot
- Continued outlining Asylum through Script Anatomy’s Televisionary course
- When in Rohm feature
- Worked on the outline for the WHEN IN ROHM feature
MY Q3 GOALS SHORTLIST:
- Finish several drafts of the WHEN IN ROHM special project w/ WriteMovies (sending a first solid draft due Aug 15)
- Publishing FRATERNITY, which is Book #4 of The Books of Ezekiel series
- Finishing the outline for HOLLOW POINT, which is Book #5 of The Books of Ezekiel series
- Publishing the paperback version of The Camille, Episode 1 (my femmepunk, cyberpunk, technothriller serial)
- Starting the audiobook production of The Camille, Episode 1
- Publishing the serial series version for WHEN IN ROHM on Kindle Vella: https://www.amazon.com/kindle-vella/product/B098LRTXCJ
- And of course, kicking off the brand new Theatre, Film, and TV program at my high school for my kids!
I’m trying to chill this summer, but forewarning: with all my goals, this summer may have ZERO chill, lol! Still, I’m trying my best to relax and will at least work on my writing every day. Aiming for “structure” rather than “schedule” is truly the name of my summer chill game. I’ll let you guys know how it works out!
In the meantime, keep it indie, stay badass, and keep creating, lovelies! And most importantly? KEEP WRITING!
The Podcast: http://www.colbyrrice.com/the-epic-fantastical-journey-of-a-black-female-sci-fi-writer/
My Author Website: http://www.colbyrrice.com
My Novels: http://bit.ly/ColbyRRiceAmazonAuthorPage
Support the F’empire on Patreon: http://patreon.com/colbyrrice
My FB Page: https://www.facebook.com/ColbyRRicePage/
My Twitter: https://twitter.com/ColbyRRice
My Instagram: https://instagram.com/colbyrrice